The Hawai‘i Natural Energy Institute (HNEI) has been involved in research and development activities dealing with bio-renewable resources for many years. General areas of interest include:
- Creating a knowledge base on biomass resources and improving bioenergy-related decision making and development.
- Converting biomass into fuels, high value chemicals, and other products.
- Utilizing waste materials from chemical and wastewater treatment plants for production of bioplastics, bio-oils and biocarbons.
- Developing processes and unit operations for producing and improving biofuels.
- Producing bio-fuel cells.
Specific research areas are contained within the following seven items. Clicking on each of these will provide details on the types of activities involved.