HNEI researchers are actively involved in research and development activities aimed at production of fuels from biological sources. Specific efforts include the following subject areas:
- Biomass Resource Assessments , including assessment of biofuels for electric power generation
- Preparation of the Hawaii Bioenergy Master Plan 
- Production of Biocarbons  (charcoal)
- Production of Bio-Oils (overview) 
- Reforming of Transition Fuels for the Hydrogen Economy 
- Thermochemical Conversion of Biomass , e.g., hydrogen production from biomass
For additional general information on HNEI biotechnology researchers and activities, see the Biotechnology section of our website. Also, see the Hydrogen research area of our website for details on HNEI’s hydrogen efforts.