HNEI researchers are using Hawaii’s electric grids as models to assess the effectiveness of Electric Vehicles (EVs) along with other alternate transportation fuels and vehicles to improve both transportation energy efficiency and power grid operations.
Point Person: K. McKenzie 
Project Profile: EVTC 
- Economic Impacts of Electric Vehicle Adoption , UHERO, February 2017
- Development of SWITCH-Hawaii Model: Loads and Renewable Resources , by UH's Department of Electrical Engineering, August 2016
- Battery Cycling and Calendar Aging: Year One Testing Results , by HNEI, July 2016
- Cell Emulation and Preliminary Results , by HNEI, July 2016
- Electric Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emission Assessment for Hawaii , by UH Economic Research Organization, July 2016
- The State of Electric Vehicles in Hawaii: 2016 Update , by HNEI, July 2016
- Islanding Detection and Over Voltage Mitigation using Wireless Sensor Networks and Electric Vehicle Charging Station , by UH's Department of Mechanical Engineering, June 2016
- Electric Vehicle Lifecycle Cost Assessment for Hawaii , by UH Economic Research Organization, September 2015
- Factors Affecting EV Adoption: A Literature Review and EV Forecast for Hawaii , by UH Economic Research Organization, April 2015
- The State of Electric Vehicles in Hawaii , by HNEI, March 2015
- Transient Over-Voltage Mitigation and its Prevention in Secondary Distribution Networks with HIgh PV-to-Load Ratio , by UH's Department of Mechanical Engineering, February 2015
- Current State-of-the-Art of EV Chargers , by UH's Department of Mechanical Engineering, February 2015
- Test Plan to Asess Electric Vehicle Cell Degradation under Electric Utility Grid Operations , by HNEI, February 2015
- Initial Conditioning Characterization Test and Other Preliminary Testing , by HNEI, February 2015
Papers & Proceedings:
- 2016, A. Devie, M. Dubarry, Durability and Reliability of Electric Vehicle Batteries under Electric Utility Grid Operations. Part 1: Cell-to-Cell Variations and Preliminary Testing. Batteries , 2(3); http://dx.doi.org/ 10.3390/batteries2030028 
- Smart EV Charging to Capture Curtailed Renewable Energy , by GE Energy Consulting & HNEI, September 2015
- When will we have better batteries than lithium-ion for gadgets and electric vehicles? , by HNEI, June 2015
Presentations & Posters:
- 2016, M. Dubarry, A. Devie, EV Cell Degradation Under Electric Utility Grid Operations: Impact of Calendar Aging and Vehicle to Grid Strategies , Pacific Rim Meeting on Electrochemical and Solid-State Science (PRiME 2016), Honolulu, Hawaii, October 2-7.
- 2016, M. Dubarry, A. Devie, Path Dependence in Lithium-Ion Batteries Degradation: A Comparison of Cycle and Calendar Aging , Pacific Rim Meeting on Electrochemical and Solid-State Science (PRiME 2016), Honolulu, Hawaii, October 2-7.
- 2016, K. McKenzie, R.A. Raustad, Electrified Transportation as a Power Grid Resource , IEEE Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo (ITEC), Dearborn, Michigan, June 27-29.
- 2016, M. Dubarry, A. Devie, EV Cell Degradation under Electric Utility Grid Operations: Impact of Calendar Aging & Vehicle to Grid Strategies , Next-Generation Energy Storage Conference, San Diego, California, April 18-20.
- 2015, A. Eshraghi, R. Ghorbani, UH College of Engineering, Islanding Detection and Transient Over Voltage Mitigation Using Wireless Sensor Networks , IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, Denver, Colorado, July 26-30.
- 2014, M. Dubarry, C. Truchot, A. Devie, B.Y. Liaw, Battery Modeling: Bridging Academic & Industrial Understandings , WMG University of Warwick, September 24.