Grid System Technologies Advanced Research Team (GridSTART) supports HNEI's Grid Integration technology
GridSTART empowers islanded grids and remote communities to optimize power systems and reliably integrate greater levels of renewables. It focuses on research, develop, test and evaluate (RDT&E) advanced grid control architectures, enabling policies, and new technologies and methods for effective integration of renewable energy resources and power system optimization.
“Building on Established Pacific-Asian Regional Focus and Relationships”
Expertise and focus
- Smart Grid Planning and Technologies (energy control systems & architecture, energy storage applications, electric vehicle grid applications, microgrids, load control, advanced inverters etc.)
- Power Systems Planning (generation resources, transmission, distribution)
- Power Systems Operation (conventional generation commitment and dispatch, generation resource operational constraints and issues)
- Energy Policy (energy legislation and utility regulatory framework, operations reliability)
- Power Systems Engineering and Standards
- Project Management and Execution (generation and T&D infrastructure permitting, environmental review and assessment processes, project scope & budget development and execution, project resource contracting and management)
Extensive utilities background in island power systems and renewables integration, combined with the strategic mindset and resources of a leading clean energy institute. 70+ years of combined utility & PUC experience.
Oahu Grid Analysis
Development and Demonstration of Smart Grid Inverters for High-Penetration PV Applications (2011 – 2015)
Great Maui Project
Maui Smart Grid Project (RDSI)
 http://www.hnei.hawaii.edu/sites/www.hnei.hawaii.edu/files/2. GridSTART Strat Plan HNEI-UH_0.pdf