Electrification of automobiles and fossil-fuel displacement by renewable energy sources are crucial to combating climate change. The successful adoption of these clean energy technologies could benefit from integration strategies such as the sourcing/sinking energy to/from the electric grid known as vehicle-to-grid (V2G) and grid-to-vehicle (G2V), respectively. Electric vehicles are typically parked 90% of the day and thus could be used as storage batteries to shift energy between high and low demand time of the day. However, this strategy and the inexorable proliferation of electric vehicles (EVs) and renewable power plants in general imposes a mounting burden on the batteries essential to these systems. Understanding and mitigating battery degradation is key to improving the durability of electric vehicles and the reliability of power grids. Funded under DOT/EVTC, then ONR/APRISES, this ongoing research is delving into the effect of grid-vehicle interactions on the performance of Li-ion batteries facilitating the determination of the causes of cell deterioration and the accurate prediction of capacity loss during real-world use. The knowledge gained was used to suggest practices that will improve property retention. Research conducted for this project is completed in the PakaLi Battery Laboratory.
Illustration of the path dependence of battery degradation.
- 2020, M. Elliott, L.G. Swan, M. Dubarry, G. Baure, Degradation of electric vehicle lithium-ion batteries in electricity grid services, Journal of Energy Storage, Vol. 32, Paper 101873.
- 2020, G. Baure, M. Dubarry, Durability and Reliability of EV Batteries under Electric Utility Grid Operations: Impact of Frequency Regulation Usage on Cell Degradation, Energies, Vol. 13, Issue 10, Paper 2494. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2019, G. Baure, M. Dubarry, Synthetic vs. Real Driving Cycles: A Comparison of Electric Vehicle Battery Degradation, Batteries, Vol. 5, Issue 2, Paper 42. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2018, M. Dubarry, G. Baure, A. Devie, Durability and Reliability of EV Batteries under Electric Utility Grid Operations: Path Dependence of Battery Degradation, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, Vol. 165, Issue 5, pp. A773-A783. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2018, K. Uddin, M. Dubarry, M.B. Glick, The viability of vehicle-to-grid operations from a battery technology and policy perspective, Energy Policy, Vol. 113, pp. 342-347. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2017, M. Dubarry, A. Devie, K. McKenzie, Durability and Reliability of Electric Vehicle Batteries Under Electric Utility Grid Operations: Bidirectional Charging Impact Analysis, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 358, pp. 39-49.
- 2017, D. Ansean, M. Dubarry, A. Devie, B.Y. Liaw, V.M. Garcia, J.C. Viera, M. Gonzalez, Operando lithium plating quantification and early detection of a commercial LiFePO4 cell cycled under dynamic driving schedule, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 356, pp. 36-46.
- 2016, A. Devie, M. Dubarry, Durability and reliability of electric vehicle batteries under electric utility grid operations. Part 1: Cell-to-cell variations and preliminary testing, Batteries, Vol. 2, Issue 3, paper 28. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2016, D. Ansean, M. Dubarry, A. Devie, B.Y. Liaw, V.M. Garcia, J.C. Viera, M. Gonzalez, Fast charging technique for high power LiFePO4 batteries: a mechanistic analysis of aging, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 321, pp. 201-209.