HNEI researchers investigated multi-component extraction of bio-oils, protein, fermentatable sugars, and high value metabolites from oil-bearing biomass using ionic liquid based solvents. The patented process was verified to support multi-component extraction of bio-oils, high value chemicals, and fermentable sugars that supported heterotrophic high-density growth of oil-bearing yeast.
Point Person: Michael Cooney
Papers & Proceedings
- 2013, G. Severa, G. Kumar, M.J. Cooney, Corecovery of Bio-Oil and Fermentable Sugars from Oil-Bearing Biomass, International Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 2013, 617274
- 2013, G. Severa, G. Kumar, M. Troung, G. Young, M.J. Cooney, Simultaneous extraction and separation of phorbol esters and bio-oil from Jatropha biomass using ionic liquid–methanol co-solvents, Separation and Purification Technology, Volume 116, pp. 265–270
- 2011, G. Young , F. Nippen , S. Titterbrandt , M.J. Cooney, Direct transesterification of biomass using an ionic liquid co-solvent system, Biofuels, Vol. 2, Issue 3, pp. 261–266
- 2010, G. Young, F. Nippgen, S. Titterbrandt, M.J. Cooney, Lipid extraction from biomass using co-solvent mixtures of ionic liquids and polar covalent molecules, Separation and Purification Technology, Vol. 72, Issue 1, pp. 118v121
- Co-Recovery of Lipids, Fermentable Sugars, and Protein from Bio-Oil Bearing Biomass Using Ionic Liquid Co-Solvents, presented at the 2015 AIChE Annual Meeting, November 2015