With funding from ONR, HNEI researchers have investigated the performance and durability of novel carbon-based biofilm supports to support active methanogenic microbial communities. Using DNA based community analysis the project verified wood derived biochar to host biofilms possessing well-balanced methanogenic microbial communities that realized high digestion rates under anaerobic conditions. HNEI researchers then investigated the performance and durability of a hybrid high rate anaerobic-aerobic digestion (HRAAD) system operated at demonstration scale in an existing wastewater treatment facility. The HRAAD system consisted of an anaerobic reactor packed with a range of materials including biochar and a second aerobic reactor, serving as a trickling filter, packed with highly porous polystyrene media. After demonstration at lab and demonstration scale in industry, HNEI researchers have now completed a full design of modular units to fabricate and install these systems in industry.
Point Person: Michael Cooney
Papers & Proceedings
- 2019, M.J. Cooney, K. Rong, K.M. Lamichhane, Cross comparative analysis of liquid phase anaerobic digestion, Journal of Water Process Engineering, Vol. 29, Article 100765.
- 2017, K.M. Lamichhane, K. Lewis, K. Rong, R.W. Babcock Jr., M.J. Cooney, Treatment of high strength acidic wastewater using passive pH control, Journal of Water Process Engineering, Vol. 18, pp. 198-201.
- 2017, K.M. Lamichhane, D. Furukawa, M.J. Cooney, Co-Digestion of Glycerol with Municipal Wastewater, Chemical Engineering & Process Techniques, Vol. 3, Issue 1, Paper 1034.
- 2016, L. Postacchini, K.M. Lamichhane, D. Furukawa, R.W. Babcock Jr., F.E. Ciarapica, M.J. Cooney, Life Cycle Assessment Comparison of Activated Sludge, Trickling Filter, and High-Rate Anaerobic-Aerobic Digestion (HRAAD), Water Science & Technology, Vol. 73, Issue 10, pp. 2353-2360.
- 2016, M.J. Cooney, K. Lewis, K. Harris, Q. Zhang, T. Yan, Start up performance of biochar packed bed anaerobic digesters, Journal of Water Process Engineering, Vol. 9, pp. e7-e13
- 2014, R.J. Lopez, S.R. Higgins, E. Pagaling, T. Yan, M.J. Cooney, High rate anaerobic digestion of wastewater separated from grease trap waste, Renewable Energy, Vol. 62, pp. 234-242