Below is a list of archived technical reports, peer-reviewed journal articles, book chapters, and conference proceedings are organized by research area in reverse-chronological order. This research was completed at HNEI, however, work under these areas are no longer active.
- 2021, G. Mohan, R.L. Johnson, J. Yu, Conversion of Pine Sawdust into Polyhydroxyalkanoate Bioplastics, ACS Sustainable Chemistry & Engineering, Vol. 9, Issue 25, pp. 8383-8392.
- 2021, H. Zhang, S. Kang, J. Fu, Y. He, X. Huang, J. Chang, Y. Xu, Valorization of poly(butylene succinate) to tetrahydrofuran via one-pot catalytic hydrogenolysis, Reaction Chemistry & Engineering, Vol. 6, Issue 3, pp. 465-470.
- 2020, P-C. Kuo, J. Yu, Process simulation and techno-economic analysis for production of industrial sugars from lignocellulosic biomass, Industrial Crops and Products, Vol. 155, Paper 112783.
- 2019, J. Yu, Y. Lu, Carbon dioxide fixation by a hydrogen-oxidizing bacterium: Biomass yield, reversal respiratory quotient, stoichiometric equations and bioenergetics, Biochemical Engineering Journal, Vol. 152, Article 107369.
- 2018, J. Yu, P. Munasinghe, Gas Fermentation Enhancement for Chemolithotrophic Growth of Cupriavidus necator on Carbon Dioxide, Fermentation, Vol. 4, Issue 3, Paper 63. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2018, J. Yu, Fixation of carbon dioxide by a hydrogen-oxidizing bacterium for value-added products, World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, Vol. 34, Issue 7, Article 89.
- 2018, J. Yu, A Green Plastic and Drop-in Transportation Fuels from Carbon Dioxide and Renewable Energy, Proceeding of the TechConnect World Innovation Conference & Expo, TechConnect Briefs, Vol. 2 Materials for Energy, Efficiency and Sustainability: TechConnect Briefs 2018, pp. 187-190. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2018, S. Kang, J. Yu, Maintenance of a Highly Active Solid Acid Catalyst in Sugar Beet Molasses for Levulinic Acid Production, Sugar Tech, Vol. 20, Issue 2, pp. 182-193.
- 2017, Y. Lu, J. Yu, Comparsion analysis on the energy efficiencies and biomass yields in microbial CO2 fixation, Process Biochemistry, Vol. 62, pp. 151-160.
- 2017, S. Kang, J. Yu, Maintenance of a Highly Active Solid Acid Catalyst in Sugar Beet Molasses for Levulinic Acid Production, SugarTech, Vol.20, pp. 1-12.
- 2017, Y. Lu, J. Yu, Gas mass transfer with microbial CO2 fixation and poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) synthesis in a packed bed bioreactor, Biochemical Engineering Journal, Vol. 122, pp. 13-21.
- 2016, S. Kang, J. Yu, An intensified reaction technology for high levulinic acid concentration from lignocellulosic biomass, Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol. 95, pp. 214-220.
- 2015, S. Kang, J. Yu, Effect of Methanol on Formation of Levulinates from Cellulosic Biomass, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 54, Issue 46, pp. 11552-11559.
- 2015, S. Kang, J. Yu, A gasoline-grade biofuel formed from renewable polyhydroxybutyrate on solid phosphoric acid, Fuel, Vol. 160, pp. 282-290.
- 2015, S. Kang, J. Yu, Reaction routes in catalytic reforming of poly(3-hydroxybutyrate) into renewable hydrocarbon oil, RSC Advances, Vol. 5, Issue 38, pp. 30005-30013.
- 2015, S. Kang, J. Yu, Hydrophobic organic compounds from hydrothermal liquefaction of bacterial biomass, Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol. 74, pp. 92-95.
- 2014, N. Tanadchangsaeng, J. Yu, Thermal stability and degradation of biological terpolyesters over a broad temperature range, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 132, Issue 13, pp. 41715-41815.
- 2014, S. Kang, J. Yu, One-pot production of hydrocarbon oil from poly(3-hydroxybutyrate), RSC Advances, Vol. 4, Issue 28, pp. 14320-14327.
- 2014, P. Tang, J. Yu, Kinetic analysis on deactivation of a solid Brønsted acid catalyst in conversion of sucrose to levulinic acid, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, Vol. 53, Issue 29, pp. 11629-11637.
- 2014, J. Yu, Bio-based products from solar energy and carbon dioxide, Trends in Biotechnology, Vol. 32, Issue 1, pp. 5-10.
- 2013, J. Yu, A. Dow, S. Pingali, The energy efficiency of carbon dioxide fixation by a hydrogen-oxidizing bacterium, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 38, Issue 21, pp. 8683-8690.
- 2013, J. Yu, Production of Polyhydroxyalkanoates in Biomass Refining, in S-T. Yang, H. El-Ensashy, N. Thongchul (eds.) Bioprocessing Technologies in Biorefinery for Sustainable Production of Fuels, Chemicals, and Polymers, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Chapter 22, pp. 415-426.
- 2013, N. Tanadchangsaeng, J. Yu, Miscibility of natural polyhydroxyalkanoate blend with controllable material properties, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 129, Issue 4, pp. 2004-2016.
- 2012, N. Tanadchangsaeng, J. Yu, Microbial synthesis of polyhydroxybutyrate from glycerol: Gluconeogenesis, molecular weight and material properties of biopolyester, Biotechnology & Bioengineering, Vol. 109, Issue 11, pp. 2808-2818.
- 2011, M. Jaremko, J. Yu, The initial metabolic conversion of levulinic acid in Cupriavidus necator, Journal of Biotechnology, Vol. 155, Issue 3, pp. 293-298.
- 2011, M.M. Porter, J. Yu, Crystallization kinetics of poly(3-hdyroxybutyrate) granules in different environmental conditions, Journal of Biomaterials and Nanobiotechnology, Vol. 2011, Issue 2, pp. 301-310. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2011, M. Porter, J. Yu, Monitoring in situ crystallization of biopolyester granules in Ralstonia eutropha via infrared spectroscopy, Journal of Microbiological Methods, Vol. 87, Issue 1, pp. 49-55.
- 2020, T. Uchida, I. Nagamine, I. Yabe, T. Fukumaki, A. Oyama, B. Yoza, N. Tenma, S.M. Masutani, Dissolution Process Observation of Methane Bubbles in the Deep Ocean Simulator Facility, Energies, Vol. 13, Issue 15, Paper 3938. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2019, E.J. Davies, D.A.E. Dunnebier, Ø. Johansen, S. Masutani, I. Nagamine, P.J. Brandvik, Shedding from chemically-treated oil droplets rising in seawater, Marine Pollution Bulletin, Vol. 143, pp. 256-263. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2017, A. Oyama, S.M. Masutani, A Review of the Methane Hydrate Program in Japan, Energies, Vol. 10, Issue 10, Paper 1447. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2017, R.B. Coffin, J.P. Smith, B. Yoza, T.J. Boyd, M.T. Montgomery, Spatial Variation in Sediment Organic Carbon Distribution across the Alaskan Beaufort Sea Shelf, Energies, Vol. 10, Issue 9, Paper 1265. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2017, J.T. Weissman, S.M. Masutani, Hydrogen Storage Capacity of Tetrahydrofuran and Tetra-N-Butylammonium Bromide Hydrates Under Favorable Thermodynamic Conditions, Energies, Vol. 10, Issue 8, paper 1225. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2017, P.J. Brandvik, Ø. Johansen, E.J. Davies, F. Leirvik, D.F. Krause, P.S. Daling, D. Dunnebier, S. Masutani, I. Nagamine, C. Storey, C. Brady, R. Belore, T. Nedwed, C. Cooper, A. Ahnell, O. Pelz, K. Anderson, Subsea Dispersant Injection (SSDI) – Summary Findings from a Multi-Year Research and Development Industry Initiative, Proceeding of the International Oil Spill Conference, Vol. 2017, Issue 1, pp. 2762-2790. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2017, T. Uchida, B. Kvamme, R.B. Coffin, N. Tenma, A. Oyama, S.M. Masutani, Review of Fundamental Properties of Gas Hydrates: Breakout Sessions of the International Workshop on Methane Hydrate Research and Development, Energies, Vol. 10, Issue 6, Paper 747. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2016, T.Y. Sylva, C.K. Kinoshita, S.M. Masutani, Inhibiting Effects of Transition Metal Salts on Methane Hydrate Stability, Chemical Engineering Science, Vol. 155, pp.10-15.
- 2016, P.J. Brandvik, Ø. Johansen, E.J. Davies, F. Leirvik, D.F. Krause, P.S. Daling, D. Dunnebier, S. Masutani, I. Nagamine, C. Storey, C. Brady, R. Bellore, T. Nedwed, C. Cooper, A. Ahnell, O. Pelz, K. Anderson, Subsea Dispersant Injection – Summary of Operationally Relevant Findings From a Multi-Year Industry Initiative, Proceeding of the SPE International Conference and Exhibition on Health, Safety, Security, Environment, and Social Responsibility, Doc ID SPE-179401-MS.
- 2015, E.W. North, E.E. Adams, A.E. Thessen, Z. Schlag, R. He, S.A. Socolofsky, S.M. Masutani, S.D. Peckham, The influence of droplet size and biodegradation on the transport of subsurface oil droplets during the Deepwater Horizon spill: a model sensitivity study, Environmental Research Letters, Vol. 10, Issue 2, Paper 024016. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2014, R.B. Coffin, L.J. Hamdan, J.P. Smith, P.S. Rose, R.E. Plummer, B. Yoza, I. Pecher, M.T. Montgomery, Contribution of vertical methane flux to shallow sediment carbon pools across Porangahau Ridge, New Zealand, Energies, Vol. 7, Issue 8, pp. 5332-5356. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2014, T.H. Ching, B.A. Yoza, Q.X. Li, Quartet analysis of putative horizontal gene transfer in Crenarchaeota, Journal of Molecular Evolution, Vol. 78, Issue 2, pp. 163-170.
- 2013, R.B. Coffin, J.P. Smith, R.E. Plummer, B. Yoza, R.K. Larsen, L.C. Millholland, M.T. Montgomery, Spatial variation in shallow sediment methane sources and cycling on the Alaskan Beaufort Sea Shelf/Slope, Marine and Petroleum Geology, Vol. 45, pp. 186-197.
- 2013, R.M. Harada, B.A. Yoza, S.M. Masutani, Q.X. Li, Diversity of Archaea communities within contaminated sand samples from Johnston Atoll, Bioremediation Journal, Vol. 17, Issue 3, pp. 182-189.
- 2013, B.A. Yoza, E.M. Masutani, The analysis of macroalgae biomass found around Hawai‘i for bioethanol production, Environmental Technology, Vol. 34, Issue 13-14, pp. 1859-1867.
- 2011, E.M. Masutani, B.A. Yoza, Ethanol production from Ulva fasciata, Journal of Research Institute of Science and Technology, College of Science and Technology, Nihon University, Vol. 126, pp. 1-5. (Open Access: PDF)
Renewable Power Generation
- Crissy Field Center Wind Power Study: Final Report, Golden Gate National Parks Conservancy, September 2015
- O‘ahu Wind Integration Study, GE Company, December 2010
Papers and Proceedings
- 2016, S. Sepasi, A.M. Howlader, E. Reihani, L.R. Roose, A coordinated approach for frequency control of zero emission based smart PV-wind-battery power system, Proceeding of the IEEE Electrical and Computer Engineering (ICECE), Dhaka, Bangladesh, December 20-22, INSPEC 16674717, pp.166-169.
- 2018, S.R. Higgins, J. Ewan, J. St-Pierre, G. Severa, K. Davies, K. Bethune, A. Goodarzi, R. Rocheleau, Environmental sensor system for expanded capability of PEM fuel cell use in high air contaminant conditions, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 43, Issue 50, pp. 22584-22594.
- 2015, G. Severa, K. Bethune, R. Rocheleau, S. Higgins, SO2 sorption by activated carbon supported ionic liquids under simulated atmospheric conditions, Chemical Engineering Journal, Vol. 265, pp. 249-258.
- Intermodel Comparison Between Switch 2.0 and GE MAPS, July 2018
- Development of SWITCH-Hawai‘i Model: Loads and Renewable Resources, UHM EE Dept., August 2016
- Battery Cycling and Calendar Aging: Year One Testing Results, July 2016
- Cell Emulation and Preliminary Results, July 2016
- Electric Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emission Assessment for Hawai‘i, UHERO, July 2016
- The State of Electric Vehicles in Hawai‘i: 2016 Update, July 2016
- Islanding Detection and Over Voltage Mitigation using Wireless Sensor Networks and Electric Vehicle Charging Station, UHM ME Dept., June 2016
- Savings and Peak Reduction Due to Optimally-Timed Charging of Electric Vehicles on the O‘ahu Power System, UHM EE Dept., December 2015
- Electric Vehicle Lifecycle Cost Assessment for Hawai‘i, UHERO, September 2015
- Factors Affecting EV Adoption: A Literature Review and EV Forecast for Hawai‘i, UHERO, April 2015
- The State of Electric Vehicles in Hawai‘i, March 2015
- Transient Over-Voltage Mitigation and its Prevention in Secondary Distribution Networks with High PV-to-Load Ratio, UHM ME Dept., February 2015
- Current State-of-the-Art of EV Chargers, UHM ME Dept., February 2015
- Test Plan to Assess Electric Vehicle Cell Degradation under Electric Utility Grid Operations, February 2015
- Initial Conditioning Characterization Test and Other Preliminary Testing, February 2015
- Strategic Use of Electric Vehicle Charging to Reduce Renewable Energy Curtailment on O‘ahu, September 2013
- O‘ahu Electric Vehicle Charging Study: Mitigating Curtailed Renewable Energy on O‘ahu, GE Energy Consulting, September 2013
Papers and Proceedings
- 2021, K.A. McKenzie, Sun, Wind and Waves: EV Fossil Fuel Use and Emissions on an Isolated, Oil-Dependent Hawaiian Island, World Electric Vehicle Journal, Vol. 12, Issue 2, Paper 87. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2019, G. Baure, M. Dubarry, Synthetic vs. Real Driving Cycles: A Comparison of Electric Vehicle Battery Degradation, Batteries, Vol. 5, Issue 2, Paper 42. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2018, M. Dubarry, G. Baure, A. Devie, Durability and Reliability of EV Batteries under Electric Utility Grid Operations: Path Dependence of Battery Degradation, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, Vol. 165, Issue 5, pp. A773-A783. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2017, M. Dubarry, A. Devie, K. McKenzie, Durability and reliability of electric vehicle batteries under electric utility grid operations: Bidirectional charging impact analysis, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 358, pp. 39-49.
- 2016, A. Devie, M. Dubarry, Durability and reliability of electric vehicle batteries under electric utility grid operations. Part 1: Cell-to-cell variations and preliminary testing, Batteries, Vol. 2, Issue 3, paper 28. (Open Access: PDF)
- 2015, M. Dubarry, C. Truchot, A. Devie, B.Y. Liaw, K. Gering, S. Sazhin, D.Jamison, C. Michelbacher, Evaluation of commercial lithium-ion cells based on composite positive electrode for plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) applications. Part IV. Over-discharge phenomena, Journal of The Electrochemical Society, Vol. 162, Issue 9, pp. A1787-A1792. (Open Access: PDF)